[mythtv-users] Implementing HD-PVR IR Blaster

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Nov 17 14:00:24 UTC 2009

On Nov 17, 2009, at 8:47 AM, Bobby Schwartz wrote:

>>> Hey! Thanks for the response!
>>>
>>> That did the trick.  I now have built modules.  I'm running Mythbuntu
>>> 9.10 (kernel 2.6.31.)
>>>
>>> I ran these two commands to install the modules that (I think) had
>>> changes in them...
>>> insmod lirc_dev.ko
>>> insmod lirc_zilog.ko
>>>
>>> I saw no errors.  I can see lirc_zilog in lsmod and dmesg said
>>> "lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 251"
>>>
>>> Sadly I'm away from home and the HD-PVR is powered off so I can't
> test
>>> much further than this.  If everything is working I should see a new
>>> lirc entry in /dev, correct?
>>
>> That only gets created when the driver loads up and binds to an actual
> device. Since your HD-PVR isn't on, lirc_zilog >found nothing to bind
> to, so you get no /dev entry at the moment. Not sure if it'll bind
> automagically when you power >it on, or if you'll need to reload it...
>
> So I got compiled and snapped in the modules.  I tried several
> combinations of modprobing and connecting the HD-PVR.  Dmesg shows the
> lirc_dev module loading "lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered,
> major 251" and I see in dmesg the HD-PVR loading...
>
> [   10.181882] hdpvr 1-4:1.0: untested firmware version 0x12, the driver
> might not work
> [   10.562303] hdpvr 1-4:1.0: device now attached to /dev/video0
> [   10.562332] usbcore: registered new interface driver hdpvr
>
> But I'm not seeing any new lirc devices in /dev.  I also bounced the box
> for grins and giggles.

I take it you're just running the stock hdpvr driver from the Ubuntu kernel then. It doesn't have some necessary IR-enabling bits in it. There's been a bit of instability of the hdpvr with the IR part active and being polled by lirc_zilog, so the IR activation hasn't been merged upstream yet.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com