[mythtv-users] Recommendation for digital tuner for new mythtv system, UK freeview.

David Scammell davescammell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 12:36:18 UTC 2009

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=222858
which is a dual usb stick, now price dropped to £25.

I've had one for about 9 months and bought a second recently (happily
on a dual core revo SBE). The driver was still in development when I
got my first one but has been stable for a long time now.

Your distro vendor may have support for them out of the box, my debian
lenny (2.6.26) did not. They may be included in later kernel releases
by default, I don't know. But installation was:

Download latest http://www.linuxtv.org/hg/  package,
tar xvjf
make
make install.

modprobe dvb-usb-af9015

or thereabouts, ymmv.

this works against the current debian kernel release, and will work
with more recent kernels as the
well.

It was necessary to have /lib/firmware/dvb-usb-af9015.fw but that was
trivial to get iirc.

basically its an easy install and they work great. I have my original
stick setup as tuners 2 & 3 and can record 2 simultanous programs with
multirec.
I recommend.

cheers
dave