[mythtv-users] Frontend ION but with DVB card?

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Tue Nov 17 09:35:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 7:37 PM, Lars Oeschey <oeschey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently thinking about switching to MythTV after finding out
> that none of the current Mediaplayer thingies (tried ACRyan PlayonHD
> and Xtreamer) does what I want, or is too closed source to have a good
> future. I also currently have a Siemens Gigaset DVB-S Receiver that is
> at the same time over- and underpowered (it's basically a embedded
> device with USB etc, but can only play mpeg2).
> So MythTV to me really looks promising, as it covers regular TV and
> also the MediaPlayer.
> My preferred way would be something like the Acer Revo or a Zotac ION
> based device, but where would I put the DVB-S card? I also have a
> server running (Windows 2003 currently, could probably switch to Linux
> with loosing the ActiveDirectory), so that could serve as backend with
> the DVB-S card, but it would mean that I'm dependent on the server for
> watching TV. I wouldn't care as I quite never watch TV anyway, but my
> wife would probably kill me when the server has a hardware crash ;)
> Another thing that' important in my case, is that I still have a old
> CRT TV with scart connectors. I found a DIY VGA->RGBscart converter
> and hope that works.
>
> So basically my question is, is there a way to have a ION based setup
> but with a PCI slot for the DVB-S? I guess I couldn't build anything
> myself with the same WAF where those cases alone already cost nearly
> as much as the Revo...
>
> Lars

There's nothing fundamentally stopping you from using an Ion system as a
combined frontend/backend. Recording an MPEG2 stream straight to disk
doesn't take much CPU. Neither does playback using VDPAU. Program listing
processing (mythfilldatabase) and commercial detection are reasonably
intensive, but with Myth's default settings, jobs should just take longer
rather than bringing the system to a halt.

Others who are actually using Ion systems as FE/BE systems can probably be
more specific, but it seems to me that the dual core Ion systems should make
an adequate backend for a single tuner system.

- Chris