[mythtv-users] System specifications review...

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 19:48:52 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
> With regards to your power question, on the one extreme you could save
> a lot of power by not having a mythtv system, or having a smaller TV.
> My point being that the real question you are interested in is not
> just will a discrete VDPAU card cost me extra energy, but will the
> benefits be worth the extra energy. I agree with Mike that you aren't
> likely going to save power by doing the decoding/rendering in your
> GPU. But VDPAU does do a really good job at deinterlacing (better than
> most TVs and much better than any of the software deinterlacers) and
> for most people the increased picture quality is worth it. It varies
> for everybody depending on your TV set and type of recordings etc. But
> for me the benefit was dramatic and I personally wouldn't go any other
> way than with VDPAU. And at $30-$50 for a card I think it is worth the
> initial investment to see what you think of the image quality. Worst
> case you sell the card.

Mostly I'm just grumping that there doesn't seem to be a market for
uATX motherboards w/o built-in video.  The secret Yankee in me hates
the idea of pay ($ and power) for the video chipset on the mobo and
then paying again ($ and power) for a 2nd video card.

I'm sure I'll get over it :-)

Thanks for the clarifications.  I truly appreciate the time folks have
spent trying to educate me in these areas.

--wpd