[mythtv-users] Recommendation for fanless heatsing with AMD Athlon II X2 proc?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Nov 16 16:50:06 UTC 2009

Mike Dent wrote:
> Hi (again)
> I'm considering using an AMD Athlon II X2 240 (socket AM3) processor
> in my new mythtv system:-
>
> http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=384979&CatId=2481
>
> I'm going to use the Antec Fusion case, which is 140mm high.
>
> I'm wondering which heatsink I can use for this processor, I assume it
> runs fairly cool, and can I get away without using a fan.

As other people have mentioned, it is a mistake to run a processor, or
really any piece of electronics over a couple watts, fanless unless the
case is specifically designed to.  There are a handful of cases where
the outside is designed like a giant heatsink, and there are heatpipes
to connect the various parts to it.  You just need more airflow than
natural convection and provide.

That said, your case already provides the fans.  Because of the design
of that case, the heatsink will bump up against the two side exhaust
fans, and you just need to get a heatsink that will work in that
direction.  The traditional vertical heatsinks that blow down on the
board will not work, nor will most upright heatsinks that intended for
airflow towards the back of the case.  Something like a Scythe Ninja
will probably do well.