[mythtv-users] System specifications review...

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 16:59:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> To give you an idea, I just got an AMD Athlon II X2 240 (non-e) (65W TDP)
> system--running with a single hard drive, 4GB RAM, an "all-integrated"
> motherboard based on AMD 780G/AMD SB750 chipsets, a nice 80 PLUS PSU.  It's
> currently pulling an average of 76.216kWh/mo (based on a 30-day month,
> calculations based on a test run of 64h54m, pulling a total of 6.87kWh).
>  That's an average draw of 105.86W for the whole system.
>
> I have another similar system (single hard drive, 4GB RAM, all-integrated
> mobo based on AMD 740G/AMD SB700, and the exact same PSU) and the only
> differences are the motherboard/chipset and CPU.  The second system has an
> AMD Athlon X2 5050e (45W TDP).  It's currently pulling an average of
> 81.213kWh/mo (based on a 30-day month, calculations based on 2 test
> runs--one of 18h05m and one of 29h05m).  That's an average draw of 112.80W.

Wow, thanks for the detailed insight and suggestions.  May I ask how
you made your power measurements?  Did you plug your system into the
wall through a power meter (such as a "Kill a Watt" meter)?  Or do
more modern power supplies include some sort of built in sensors?  Or
did you do something completely different?

--wpd