[mythtv-users] nfs pauses

Yianni Vidalis yiannividalis at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 16 16:16:16 UTC 2009

________________________________
> Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 17:20:03 -0800
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> From: mache at creeger.com
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] nfs pauses
>

> What do you have under "General Playback
> (1/9)?
>

> I have the following items checked.
>

> Extra Audio Buffering
>
> Clear saved position on playback
>
> Alternate clear saved position
>
> Jump to Program OSD
>
> Always stream recordings from the backend
>
> Enable picture controls
>

> The checking of "Use video as a timebase", may cause this type
> of problem.
>

> -- Mache
>

> At 11:35 AM 11/13/2009, David Brodbeck wrote:
>
> On Fri, November 13, 2009 11:22
> am, Yianni Vidalis wrote:
>
>> There was no extra cpu activity during the pauses. Also, the
> network
>
>> activity was flat when no pause was occuring (nothing else was
> moving from
>
>> or to the nfs server). The pauses occur when mythtv fetches the next
> piece
>
>> of the video (or when the nfs client does). You can see my
> description on
>
>> my first post, if you'd like.
>

> OK, figured it was worth a shot.
>

> Last time I had a problem like that it turned out to be a flaky
> network
>
> card. Under heavy load it would drop a few packets, then NFS would
> sit
>
> around waiting for RPC retries.

Sorry for the big delay, but I was busy trying out things. The only setting I hadn't selected was "Always stream recordings from the backend". Turning it on didn't change anything.

I also tried cifs mount instead of nfs. Still pauses.

The nfs server (again) is now opensuse 11.2, 2.6.31.5 kernel. Still pauses. (By the way, trying it I ran into the "no keyboard + mouse" bug. It is solved by entering  ' Option       "AutoAddDevices" "Off" ' under Serverflags in xorg.conf. Google helps!)

I was wrong about the extra cpu activity during the pauses, it is clearly spiking. The nfs server is idle the rest of the time.

I even uninstalled the avg antivirus I had installed, just in case. No improvement. There are pauses, still.

I changed my ext3 filesystem to ext4. Still pauses.

My nfs server cpu is a Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500  @ 2.20GHz. It should be able to handle easily this kind of lvm/raid5 configuration. The network through-output is 10~12mb/s. It's just with mythtv video that I have these pauses.

I have already ordered a Q9400 Quad Core cpu ( I have been looking for an excuse, anyway ), should be here it 3-4 days - the retailer is out of stock.

If any developers are reading this, is there a remotely remote chance that myth is asking for the rest of the video when the buffer I assume it uses is too low, not allowing for any latency (network or filesystem?). If this is the case, is there a way to change this?

I am really running out of ideas, but if I find the time (kids + wife allowing) I will revert myth to a>2 month backup and try again. That will be the last resort!

Thanks for reading this.

Yianni.