[mythtv-users] Generic IR blaster performance question

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Nov 16 15:18:54 UTC 2009

On Nov 15, 2009, at 2:06 AM, stefan_jones at comcast.net wrote:

> Comcast recently started scrambling popular stations like Syfy, Cartoon Network, and TNT. I imagine most of the other not-public-access-or-home-shopping stations will soon follow suit.
>
> In addition to force me to use a STB / DCT to watch live TV, this means no more E-Z record-from-clear-QAM solution I love so much.
>
> So! I'm getting a new card with an IR blaster. I've never had to deal with this before.
>
> I have some general questions.
>
> One, are they reliable? How often do recordings end up of the wrong program because the STB didn't switch?

About one in every 20 or so shows here seems to end up on the wrong channel -- typically, a recording on, say, channel 254 ends up on channel 54 instead. This is with a serial blaster, which I've been meaning to replace with a usb one, just haven't got around to it. Not sure if it'd be any better with something else.

> Second, what sort of timing is involved? Does Myth start the channel switch a little early?

Not sure. Don't think so. Haven't noticed any issues with back-to-back recordings though.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com