[mythtv-users] System specifications review...

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Mon Nov 16 12:29:43 UTC 2009

On Mon, November 16, 2009 12:04 pm, Mike Dent wrote:
> 2009/11/15 Robert Longbottom <RobertCL at iname.com>:
>> Patrick Doyle wrote:
>>>
>>> OK, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger.  Here is what I've decided
>>> upon for HW to build my ATSC MythTV Frontend/Backend TiVo replacement:
>>>
>>> Case:
>>> Antec 2480
>>>
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129034&Tpk=NSK%202480
>>> I picked this one because it was at the top of the list at
>>> silentpcreview.com, and it is roughly the size of my old TiVo (plus
>>> the converter box sitting on top of it).  I'm hoping that the black
>>> DVD rom panel will not look too out of place in the silver front panel
>>> of the 2480.  It might even be considered to be "stylish", but history
>>> has shown that I can be a pretty poor judge of what is considered to
>>> be "stylish".
>>>

>> I've had this case for a couple of years now and it's very nice.  Those
>> big
>> fans make virtually no noise and come with a switched speed control -
>> I've
>> always just run mine on minimum.  The PSU fan is virtually silent as
>> well.
>>  Inside there is plenty of space for everything.  I've got a dvd drive
>> and a
>> single hard disk in there at the minute, with space for a second hard
>> disk
>> and a second dvd drive.  The hard drive enclosure has some nice
>> anti-vibration gromits to limit noise and the hard disk is it's own
>> compartment to help with airflow, etc.  I keep this in an open-backed
>> unit
>> in my living room, and while it's not silent, it's quiet-enough.
>
> Robert,
> what CPU fan or heatsink are you using in this case?
> I'm thinking about the same case with an AMD Athlon II X2 240  processor.
> Just wondering about height restrictions?
>
> Do I need a fan on the heatsink, hopefully if I have a big enough one
> it can cool itself?

I have a Core2Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz with the stock intel cooler - which has
a fan.  I was going to buy some kind of Zahlman cooler for it, but the
standard one made virtually no noise, so I never bothered.

CPU Temps range from 35oC idle to about 65oC (from memory) with all cores
running flat out.

I seem to remember there was plenty of space in the case for one of those
Zahlman type "flower" coolers if you wanted one.

Robert.