[mythtv-users] mythtv newer than 0.21 (july2008) screws up PVR500 picture

James Warden warjamy at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 16 10:51:25 UTC 2009

Hi there,

I just upgraded mythtv to 0.22 from a 0.21 version that dates back from july 2008 (I believe the dB schema version was 1214). The version I use now is 1244 (debian multimedia experimental).

Anyway, I had a little problem when the schema version bumped up from 1230 to 1231 but I could fix it easily (see my other thread).

My backend uses a PVR500 PCI card. It works nicely with the ivtv driver and it has been so for as long as I can remember.

However, mythtv is now screwing up the picture whenever I watch liveTV. If I do not use mythbackend, just use a cat /dev/video0 or 1 > somefile.mpg and play this back with say mplayer, it is as nice as usual. As soon as I use mythtv, the picture gets scrambled, as if something was wrong with VBI.

I noticed this once when I tried to update mythtv a year ago (was still 0.21 but a later svn version) so i reverted back to the version of mid-summer 2008. I also believe I wrote to the list about this issue. It is biting me again with 0.22.

I am using a very recent kernel 2.6.31 on a miniITX board (VIA EN12000-EG), C7 proc, 512 DDR2 RAM. This box is usually running continuously, with very little maintenance needed. I wanted to use myth 0.22 due to new frontends that can use vdpau.

I hope someone has a hint on this. I will see if I can narrow down what could produce this picture scrambling or stuttering.

J.