[mythtv-users] System specifications review...

Indulis Bernsteins indulis.b at au1.ibm.com
Sun Nov 15 19:29:44 UTC 2009

> Disks:
> OS/MySQL: 80GB WD Caviar Blue 7200 RPM
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822135106
> Data/Video: 1TB WD Caviar Green
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136317

> I'm planning on splitting the OS disk into 2 35GB partitions (with
> whatever is leftover for swap) so that I can have production (i.e.
> family use) SW on one partition and a test partition in which I can
> try upgrades and such.
 I think you would get more use out of 2 x 1 TB disks (or 1.5 or 2TB),
mirrored (md) and partitioned and possibly using LVM for flexibility in
migration and/or adding more disks and expanding filesystems
non-disruptively.  Your OS wont be thrashing swap or doing a lot of IO to
your OS filesystems (except some small amount of IO to /var to the mythtv
databases and I've never found this to be ain issue, even with 4 tuners-
though they were all digital nor analog YMMV for analog), so IMHO you
would be wasting the IO capability of your OS disk.  There was a good post
in the last week or so about about moving your Mysql tables for Mythtv
from /var to /home to keep your OS data isolated from your user data.
Cheers,
Indulis