[mythtv-users] watching recording : sound but no voice

Guillaume Membré guillaume.ml at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 17:45:53 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Allen Edwards
<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/11/15 Guillaume Membré <guillaume.ml at gmail.com>
>>
>> 2009/11/14 Guillaume Membré <guillaume.ml at gmail.com>:
>> > Hello
>> >
>> > When playing recording with audio track with 6 channels, I just get
>> > the sound (background music) but no voice. When playing recordings
>> > with only 2 channels, it works
>> > I only have 2 speakers (left / right) to my computer.
>> > I look around with settings of alsa but can't find anything revelant.
>> > Here is my setup :
>> > hardware : zotac ion-c
>> > soft : mythtv 0.22-fixes through r22772
>> > Audio output device : ALSA:default
>> > Passtrhough output device : Default
>> > Max audio channel : Stereo
>> > Upmix : Passive
>> > Mixer Device : ALSA:default
>> > mixer controls PCM
>> >
>> > Any help will be greatly appreciated
>> > Guilaume
>> >

>> I continue to search : mplayer plays this show perflectly over hdmi
>> audio with :
>> mplayer -ao alsa:device=hdmi 1051_20091111211700.mpg
>>
>> In myth, if I setup Audio output device to ALSA:hdmi : same problem :
>> just background sound (music, noise) but no voice. I also tried
>> surround40 or surround41 or surround50 but nothing happy.
>> Some additionnal info :
>> $ aplay -L
>> default:CARD=NVidia
>>    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
>>    Default Audio Device
>> front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>>    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
>>    Front speakers
>> surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>>    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
>>    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
>> surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>>    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
>>    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
>> surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>>    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
>>    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
>> surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>>    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
>>    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
>> surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>>    HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
>>    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
>> hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>>    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
>>    HDMI Audio Output
>> null
>>    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
>>
>> please help, waf is lowering :( ;)

Thanks for your answer

> What is your asound.conf file?

I don't have one.

>  It should be something simple like this:
>
>  pcm.!default {
>       type hw
>       card 0
>       device 1
>
> }

I tried it but no difference.

> If it has a bunch of channel decoding then that is the problem because
> obviously you are missing the center channel.  From all you say, it
> sounds like you have the myth box set up to decide the digital and
> re-encode it.  That isn't what you want to do, you want to pass it
> through unchanged.

I may missunderstoud you : I don't want pass trough and digital out, I
just would like  stereo ou surround 4.0 analog output.
I just tried hdmi in order to have a proof of concept, but it may be a
wrong example.
BTW I tried with mplayer using surrond40 with :
mplayer -ao alsa:device=surround40 1051_20091111211700.mpg
I get sound + voice.
In myth, still no voice.

I read your link to the wiki, it is very interesting but I don't want
digital output.

Thanks a lot
Guillaume