[mythtv-users] Problems viewing DVDs with MythBuntu 9.04

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Nov 15 14:19:23 UTC 2009

On Sunday 15 November 2009 05:34:32 Craig Huff wrote:

> Based on the line at timestamp 2009-11-15 06:02:47.748 and the
> following line, I'm guessing there's some kind of copy protection or
> encryption that defeats the DVD player (internal is currently selected
> BTW).  Is that the case?  Is using something like handbrake my only
> option -- ripping it to the harddrive in order to view it?
>
> Thanks for all the help so far.

Handbrake does not include any code to break the CSS, if it happens to find
such code on your system it uses it, but if you can't play the disk I don't
think Handbrake can rip it.

Assuming you live where it's legal, you would need to install the decss code
to watch or rip the disk with Handbrake. Googling would probably find the way
to do that for your particular distribution, specific instructions on how to
do so probably don't belong on this (US-based) list.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org