[mythtv-users] AudioPulseUtil: Failure to Suspend in MythTV 0.22

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Nov 15 03:53:55 UTC 2009

Mike Smith wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> I tried removing PulseAudio.  Mplayer loses its sound.
> But, it did not get MythTV working.
>
> So,  when I just killed pulseaudio,  MythTV comes up.  I can
> watch recorded video and LiveTV.  But no sound.
>
> I then removed the PulseAudio rpms .  Then, when I start mythfrontend,
> I get an  error because it can not open /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
> I found that file in alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.21-3.fc10.i386.  It looks to me like alsa is
> trying to use PulseAudio.

It sounds like you tried something like 'yum remove pulse*'. But alsa
(or at least fedora) always needs some pulse libraries.

On Fedora, the following works:

echo "         Now remove pulse audio files mythtv does not need"
  echo ""
  echo "         Do NOT use 'remove pulseaudio*' as this will remove
pulseaudio-libs"
  echo "         which will kill gdm and other core programs."
  echo ""
  yum -y remove pulseaudio alsa-plugins-pulseaudio pavucontrol \
                pulseaudio-utils gstreamer-plugins-pulse \
                pulseaudio-core-libs akode-pulseaudio

If that is what you did, then you should re-install pulse, (to make suer
all the proper bits are there) and then remove the unwanted bits, as
above. I doubt the program names differ too greatly under Ubuntu etc. if
that is what you are using.
(Now apparently you *can* run myth under pulseaudio...but then some
people run marathons *for pleasure*....Me, I sail for fun: Samuel
Johnson wrote something to the effect of "Whoever would go to sea for
pleasure, would go to hell for a holiday". Guess he got sea-sick.
Pulseaudio has that effect on me...)

I use 'ALSA:default' for output but this is, of course, hardware
dependent. Input settings depend upon the tuner type. Most of the output
settings are about 3 or 4 pages into Setup ->Setup ->General in
mythfrontend.

HTH

Geoff

Geoff