[mythtv-users] desktop environment efficiencies.

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 22:29:03 UTC 2009

> On a system that is just
> running mythtv and has a 1 - 2 GB of RAM this really isn't an issue. I
> know there are still lots of people on older hardware with < 512 MB or
> RAM. But at some point you have to wonder is this worth the hassle or
> is my time better used by spending $15 on a stick of RAM and enjoying
> the convenience of a modern desktop.
<author snips>

> Very good points--it's not 1999, anymore.  And thanks for the follow-up on
my desktop > manager guesses.

fair enough, but many of us are still using myth on older hardware that cant
take more memory. My second F/E is an SP13000 in a fairly expensive
heat-pipe case to make it completely fanless... It's a nice case and I am a
little reluctant to admit it isn't up to the job anymore and in my head
write-off the purchase - it still seems fit for purpose, just.

The SP13000 is running the max 512MB of ram with some shared for video; and
using XvMC with myth 0.21 on Karmic Xubuntu.

So 100MB is 100MB and could make a fair difference...

Thanks And Regards,

Richard Morton

www.pidgin.im - MSN & Yahoo Messenger and many great features but without
adverts