[mythtv-users] Problems viewing DVDs with MythBuntu 9.04

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 14 21:05:03 UTC 2009

On Saturday 14 Nov 2009 20:46:00 Craig Huff wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The mythfrontend logs would be helpful to see why it is failing to
> > play back. My guess would be you don't have libdvdcss installed.
> >

> Good point.  When I can get back to it, I'll investigate.
>
> Additional info.  Seems some DVDs play and others don't.  Doesn't
> appear to matter whether automounting occurs or not.  FWIW,
> automounting appears to happen, but there is no /etc/auto*, so I'm not
> sure how that happens.
>
> As an example of a problem DVD, "The 13th Warrior" with Antonio
> Banderas is a special oddity.  The FBI warning plays and then it
> quits.  Replay attempts get the same thing.
>
> On some of the DVDs I have not been able to play (maybe all of them,
> not sure anymore), when mounted, the mountpoint shows at least a file
> named video_ts and some include a second file named audio_ts (or are
> they xxx.ts?).
>
> Perhaps this is just more of the same kind of issues reported in the
> past with "problem child" dvds that has nothing to do with MythTV or
> system configuration issues and everything to do with non-standard DVD
> formatting?

I've had problems playing back certain DVD on any computer system no matter what the OS - some of them just have some kind of data encryption systems that somehow manage to confuse a computer and yet still permit a DVD player to play them. Anything released recently by Sony or Universal is a good candidate for being one of these.

Mark