[mythtv-users] Minimum cpu required for VDPAU/HD?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Nov 14 15:15:11 UTC 2009

On Saturday 14 November 2009 08:01:42 Christopher Meredith wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 7:41 AM, Mark <fairlane at springcom.com> wrote:
> > I have picked up a couple of neoware thin clients that appear to be nice
> > little single board computers.  They have low power usage, and a pci
> > slot. One of them is 800 mhz.  Would it be possible to put a geforce 9400
> > pci card in it and with VDPAU enabled, use it as an HD frontend?
>
> I'm not absolutely certain, but I think that will work, especially if
> you're using AC3 passthrough. If there's a CPU bottleneck, it would
> probably be audio processing plus normal MythTV and system overhead.

Some folks have been having good results with standard PCI cards using VDPAU.

My one concern is the Neoware units appear to use VIA chipsets, and VIA has a
reputation for bugs and problems, especially with their PCI implementations.
PCI bugs would be something you definitely do not want in the usage you are
looking at.

If you could find a thin client with a mini-PCIExpress slot, you might be able
to use the Broadcom Crystal card, if and when that becomes easily workable.

Apparently HP has taken over Neoware, whether that will help or hurt I can't
say.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org