[mythtv-users] Issue with HD-PVR recording [SOLVED - I hope!]

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 14 05:32:02 UTC 2009

Harry Devine wrote:
> Ron Garrison wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> OK, so I got my HD-PVR setup and made a test recording overnight to
>>> make
>>> sure it'll work.  I just tried to play it back and I get "Please
>>> wait" for a
>>> few seconds, then it goes back to the menu with a box that says
>>> "Video frame
>>> buffering failed too many times".  The frontend log has a lot of
>>> messages
>>> that say "NVP (0), Error Prebuffer wait timed out 120 times".  Any
>>> ideas on
>>> what I need to do?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Harry
>>>

>> What audio are you using?   Did you try to cat to a file and play it
>> back with something like mplayer?  Did you even record anything (i.e.
>> what's the file size)?
>>
>> Your errors sound similar to what I saw when I first started setting
>> up my hd-pvr and had inadvertently hooked up the sp/dif out instead of
>> in.  If you don't have sp/dif in but  have setup mythtv to expect
>> sp/dif in, it will not work.
>>
>> Ron
>>

> I just have my sound output from the normal 1/8" output jack going
> into my stereo (1/8" on 1 end and red/white RCAs on the other).  I
> have my cable box set to output 720p.  I recorded 1 channel yesterday
> and it played back fine.  That channel was an SD channel and this one
> is HD if that matters.  I tried this test on this HD channel because a
> few of the shows I record are on it and its the main reason why I got
> the HD-PVR.
>
> I didn't do anything with my playback profiles when I upgraded from
> 0.21.  I think mine is set on Slim right now. Do I have to change any
> of those?
>
> Thanks,
> Harry

OK, I tried messing with the Playback profiles and I think I found
success.  I had it set to Slim from 0.21.  Since I have an nVidia 9400GS
card and the nVidia 185 .18.31 driver that should support VDPAU, I
changed the Playback profile to VDPAU High and played the recording.
Played fine.  No issues with video or audio (everything in sync).

For now I'm going to leave it like this.  Does anyone else have any
reasons why this wouldn't be acceptable?

Thanks,
Harry