[mythtv-users] vdpau worth it for hdtv?

Greg Cope gregcope at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 19:17:16 UTC 2009

2009/11/13 JEDIDIAH <jedi at mishnet.org>:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 06:56:13PM +0000, Greg Cope wrote:
>    My install experiences with ION boxes have been like Greg's.
>

>> My experience of the Ion, in my case a dual Core Acer Revo R3610 has
>> been good so far;
>>
>> 1. Install Muthbuntu
>> 2. Enable avenard repo
>> 3. Install avenard VDPAU stuff
>> 4. Enable VDPAU Normal as playback profile
>> 5. Watch recordings with the CPU bearly doing anything (GPU was busy
>> from the warmth from the fan)
>>
>> Ion, is great, as long as you do not want a heavy weight CPU.  Also
>> great for the electric bill.

Ok to be fair there have been issues with MythBuntu which I put down
to ubuntu 9.10 being slightly unpolished as a release.  Bleeding edge
I have no one to blame but me.  For example see my email re JAMU exit
code of 1 upsetting cron.

However I am really impressed with the Revo's comindation of
cheap/small/efficient.