[mythtv-users] Low power FE/BE CPU

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 19:10:55 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Patrick Doyle <wpdster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you're starting to recognize my name and/or email address, you'll
>> see that I'm in the throes of analysis paralysis in building a
>> combined FE/BE unit to replace my Series 2 TiVo.
>
> I looked up your previous posts and I see that you are planning to use
> a single ATSC tuner.
That's impressive.  Thank you so much for taking extra time to help me
out.  I truly appreciate the dedication and desire to help exemplified
by the members of this community.

> My current master backend is a 65W Core 2 Duo processor on a
> motherboard with integrated nVidia 9400 graphics.  I used to use it as
> a diskless frontend.  At idle, the entire system drew 35W.  As a
> master backend, I allow it to run 3 simultaneous jobs, and it keeps up
> just fine.  You could use this as a reference point in your
> calculations.

Poking around on Newegg, I see only one (uATX) motherboard with nVidia
9400, a DFI LP JR GF9400-T2RS.  Would that be the one you are using?

Poking around on the wiki, I see that the 9400 only supports "Advanced
(2x) Deinterlacing" for SD, not for HD.  Has this been an issue for
you?

--wpd