[mythtv-users] vdpau worth it for hdtv?

Greg Cope gregcope at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 18:56:13 UTC 2009

2009/11/13 Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk>:

> On 13 Nov 2009, at 18:25, Greg Cope wrote:
>

>> On 13 Nov 2009, at 17:19, Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> IMHO the ION is not doing VDPAU & MythTV any favours as it's not powerful enough to make MythTV HDTV look as it should, maybe I should duck at this point..... ;-)
>>>
>>> Andre
>>
>> Maybe.   Why?
>
> Lots of people on here seem to think it's the ultimate in HDTV hardware judging by the posts I've read, I would have bought one if a friend hadn't got one first and wanted me to help him set it up.

My experience of the Ion, in my case a dual Core Acer Revo R3610 has
been good so far;

1. Install Muthbuntu
2. Enable avenard repo
3. Install avenard VDPAU stuff
4. Enable VDPAU Normal as playback profile
5. Watch recordings with the CPU bearly doing anything (GPU was busy
from the warmth from the fan)

Ion, is great, as long as you do not want a heavy weight CPU.  Also
great for the electric bill.

Greg