[mythtv-users] Low power FE/BE CPU

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 18:08:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 11/13/2009 12:45 PM, Patrick Doyle wrote:
>>
>> Or am I focusing too much on the 35/45W processors and should I just
>> aim at a dual-core 65W processor and depend on a reduced clock rate to
>> reduce the power?
>>
>> I am interested in the lower power CPUs for both energy and noise
>> conservation
>

> I got tired of waiting and just bought an AMD Regor-based Athlon II X2 240
> 65W TDP dual-core CPU.  Since all of the "e" processors come off the same
> line as the non-e processors, I'm hoping to get a lucky pick.
>
> Note, also, that chipset plays a /large/ role in system power usage
> (potentially larger than the role that CPU plays).
Hi Mike,

What would you recommend for a chipset for use with this processor?

Also, I see that it is a socket AM3 processor.  I couldn't find any
socket AM3 motherboards with an nVidea GPU.  Do you know if they
exist?  Should I look for a GPU-less motherboard and buy a separate
video card?  I figured the fewer cards I put in the chassis, the
better.  But my intuition and conventional wisdom don't always align.

--wpd