[mythtv-users] desktop environment efficiencies.

sylvain brejeon sylvain.brejeon at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 08:02:25 UTC 2009

2009/11/13 Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>

> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 4:00 PM, sylvain brejeon
> <sylvain.brejeon at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Is that new in 0.22? I always understood that no WM was needed if you
> >> weren't shelling out other programs like mplayer/xine etc. (Not that I
> >> have ever tried)
> >
> > It does work. I also run the FE without any WM. I only start X.
> >

> Please don't top post on this list.  Again, just because the parts of
> Myth that *you* use in myth work without a WM does not mean that all
> of Myth does.  Running ratpoison (a few hundred k in memory) will NOT
> impact performance.  At all.  People who won't run the simplest of
> window managers because they think it provides a "performance
> improvement" can feel free to break their setups-- but suggesting that
> others do so is not helpful, and it would be really appreciated if you
> didn't do so.
>
> Robert

I apologize for top posting.

The wiki says:
"First you should know that you can run the plain
MythFrontend<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythFrontend>
 *without* a window manager. Though if you want to start external programs,
like Xine or MPlayer from MythVideo <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo>,
you will need one to get the new window visible."
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Window_Managers

So I guess it isn't completely helpless to make a WM-less suggestion.

Now if you want to use external players you have to add a dependency on a
WM. That's ok with me.

but is the standalone FE also dependent of a WM?

and in that case, what parts may I miss?

Thank you
Regards