[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend idle cpu consumption help

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Nov 13 04:40:49 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 10:02 +0000, Paul Gardiner wrote:

> Yeah, I use Standard (I think it is), which is ffmpeg for decode, and
> XV for blit. Then "Interlaced (2x)" is available.

Right.  So I experimented a bit.

I tried "Interlaced (2x)" which as you say, requires ffmpeg for decode.
That resulted in about 60% CPU for SD playback.

I then tried "None" interlacing with XvMC decoding and CPU usage was
half the above, at 30% for the exact same playback.

Without actually being able to try the combination of XvMC and
"Interlaced (2x)" (as they must be incompatible I guess) it's hard to
know which is having the dramatic CPU impact difference, but I tend to
think XvMC vs. ffmpeg is most responsible.

So I will leave things at XvMC and None for a while and see if I notice
any artifacts.

b.