[mythtv-users] LCD and traditional CRT TVs, overscan and UI size and widget placement

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Nov 13 04:28:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 16:01 +0100, Terjesen Jens Peder wrote:

> I found an online manual for this TV here: http://support.toshiba.ca/support/ceg/manuals/

Ahhh.  Awesome.

> And on page 16 I found this:
> Note:
> • The edges of the images may be hidden.

That's my experience with DVI->HDMI on the TV and a 1280x720 video
resolution.

> • If receiving a 720p, 1080i, or 1080p signal program, Native
> mode scales the video to display the entire picture within the
> borders of the screen (i.e. no overscanning).

But this bullet seems to contradict the previous bullet.  Strange
documentation.

> So this seems to only work on these resolutions and not on the TVs native resolution.
> A bit misleading then I would say.

'Specially considering I am using 1280x720 and I don't get his supposed
"Native mode".  Now, I will say that the amount of overscan is quite a
bit less than a CRT.  So maybe this little bit of overscan that I do
have is what they consider "entire picture [being] within the borders of
the screen".

I should just phone them.

b.