[mythtv-users] desktop environment efficiencies.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Nov 13 01:39:11 UTC 2009

On 11/12/2009 06:50 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> Or if it's a dedicated FE, no window manager at all.
>>>
>>> Every time I suggest it at least one person tells me that it won't work.
>>> But I have been running this way since 0.19 and it's always been
>>> absolutely hiccup free in terms of window placement and focus.
>>>
>>> Dedicated FEs, IMHO and experience don't need a WM.
>>>
>> It won't work.
>>
>> MythTV itself uses multiple windows.
>>
> Is that new in 0.22? I always understood that no WM was needed if you
> weren't shelling out other programs like mplayer/xine etc. (Not that I
> have ever tried)

No, it's not new.  Those who say you don't need a WM just haven't seen
issues/haven't used the parts where the issues can occur.  That,
however, does not make it a valid or "working" configuration.

Anyway, let's just put it this way:  if you /ever/ see any kind of focus
issue or loss of keyboard/remote control when running without a window
manager, please do /not/ report a bug.

And, really, why would anyone even care to run a broken configuration
that only saves 300kiB of RAM?

Mike