[mythtv-users] LCD and traditional CRT TVs, overscan and UI size and widget placement

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Nov 12 13:12:44 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 13:03 +0000, David Watkins wrote:

> I presume you're referring to some of the configuration settings screens?

Indeed.

> I can't say I've ever noticed a problem in any of the 'user' screens

Yeah, agreed.  The "user" screens tend to be quite liberal with the
amount of space they leave between the working portion of the screen and
the outside edges.

> but I agree that some of the configuration settings pages tend to
> disappear off the bottom of the screen, to the point that sometimes I
> can't see the "Next" / "Back" buttons.

Yup.  And in my case, where I have tuned my overscan so that playback
looks just like my real TV, items down the left side can get obscured as
well.  I actually noticed just last night that the right hand side of
the mythcenter UI as well as the OSDs tend to run off the edge into the
overscan as well.

> I'd guess it's a theme issue and maybe there are some themes that
> allow for overscan properly.

I doubt it.  It's a UI-toolkit design problem.  All of the themes use
the same tools where I suspect placement on the canvas is absolute with
the idea of scaling the canvas rather than making the placement of
widget relative to each other and allowing the "origin" (i.e. one single
static placement on the canvas) to be adjusted.

b.