[mythtv-users] How to get a clean mythtv twitter feed?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Nov 12 08:29:27 UTC 2009

Zitat von Justin Hornsby <justin0hornsby at gmail.com>:

> I've found an increasing amount of traffic on twitter with the #MythTV
> hashtag, which seems to be generated by people's user job scripts.
> Where possible I've asked the people responsible for the scripted
> updates to change the tag - so far only two kind folks have responded
> positively (and for that I thank you sirs).
>
> I also added a note to the wiki page asking nicely that people desist
> from using the #MythTV tag in their auto-generated output.  Chances
> are they'll be the only people 'following' their script running
> account so there should be no need of a tag anyway.
>
> Okay it's not *that* big a deal right now but if the world & his dog
> starts using a twitter script in a similar way it'll ruin the hashtag
> forever.  There's enough spam on there as it is ;-)

Yeah, I already noticed this too, and find it highly annoying. Even
without hashtags, they still show up in searches, which isn't any less
annoying.
I suggest that people use non-public twitter accounts for their feeds instead.

Maybe this could be encouraged in the twitter script? I haven't looked
at the script yet (my 0.22 update is due next weekend), but maybe it's
possible through the twitter API to check whether an account is public
or not, and refuse sending tweets in this case? Or at least raise a
big warning?

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/