[mythtv-users] Error when changing Mythtv's mysql database from utf8 to latin1 on Gentoo

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 11 21:52:02 UTC 2009

On 11/11/2009 04:45 PM, David Liana wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 11/11/2009 11:38 AM, Steve Evans wrote:
>>
>>> I am using Mythtv 0.21 on Gentoo. Gentoo sets up mysql to use utf8,
>>> but Mythtv prefers it to use latin1. This will cause problems when
>>> Mythtv is upgraded to 0.22. There are instructions on how to fix this at:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.mythtv.org/wiki/Fixing_Corrupt_Database_Encoding
>>>
>>> I followed these instructions, but got this error when restoring the fixed
>>> backup:
>>>
>>> ERROR 1062 (23000) at line 1712: Duplicate entry 'Kathleen ÃôDixieÃö
>>> Dixon*Jane Hazlegr' for key 2
>> That means you have partial corruption.
>>

>> Fortunately it was possible to restore the original, unfixed, backup,
>>
>>> so I have a working mythtv :-)
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any idea how to fix the database /without/ getting this
>>> error?
>>>

>> You need to follow the instructions at:
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/406111#406111
> I followed the directions on the posted thread on my end... Started with a
> clean v0.21-fixes DB in latin1 charset, upgraded to v0.22, ran the setup...
> Will the resulting v0.22 database be utf8?

Yes.  It will go through the normal DB upgrade the first time you run
mythtv-setup.

Once you reconfigure, it will be exactly the same as the database /and/
data you would have had if your 0.21-fixes DB schema weren't
corrupt--except maybe a bit cleaner (as it will get rid of some old
garbage you may have had for old hosts you may have run.

Mike