[mythtv-users] Supporting our grabber sources

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 21:04:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Brian J. Murrell
<brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 14:48 -0600, Tom Flair wrote:
>

>> This is an idea that I can get behind.  I already give Schedules
>> Direct US$20/year, I feel I can afford to give the same to those two
>> sites if I'm going to be abusing them as much.  :)
>
> Or if SD is still as much in the black as I thought they were claiming
> to be, perhaps they can help fund these two sites as well, so that our
> $20/yr is going towards more myth metadata.  If $20/yr doesn't cover the
> costs of both and it needs to be say $25 or even $30/yr is that going to
> break anyone, really?  And if it does, perhaps SD can add it as an
> optional line item(s) for additional MD sources.
>
> I guess what I am advocating is a single point of payment for everything
> Myth, if SD can work this out rather than starting down a slope of
> subscribing to and paying for forty-eleven different sources
> individually.

None of the above sources are for-pay, and they'll remain that way for
as long as they exist (though they might offer extra services on some
enhanced basis).  The existing material is all available for forking.

SD treads a legal minefield when it comes to user-created content
based on characters/content owned by studios, though.  Nobody has a
real solid idea of whether this kind of material is actionable or not,
and SD rightly doesn't want to take on that risk.

That said, PLEASE let's not have this thread degenerate into armchair
legal opinions.  If you want to help them out, please do.  If you
don't that's fine-- but let's not lead this thread down an off-topic
path that people get way too hotheaded about.

Robert