[mythtv-users] LCD and traditional CRT TVs, overscan and UI size and widget placement

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Nov 11 20:47:29 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 09:30 +1300, Tortise wrote:

> What are you suggesting, then is the correct approach?

To continue to overscan the "canvas" (I hope the meaning of this term is
obvious, if not, this whole explanation will probably not make sense),
meaning it should _always_ be screen size,  but allow the repositioning
of the widgets on the canvas to be altered to allow them to be brought
within the viewable area, rather than trying to bring the edges of the
canvas into the viewable area.

> To outline more my analysis of the problem it seems to me that when a group of electrons get fired at a screen

The solution has nothing to do with electrons being fired.

The solution is to simply do what a broadcaster does and that's to
recognize that the outer edges of the picture will not be visible and
allow tuning in myth's UI of how far from the edge of the picture the
widgets will be drawn.  This is what television broadcasters do.  Read a
defined within a "broadcast frame".

> This correction would have been best done in the TV,

No no.  It's got to do with just recognizing how TV works and how people
account for how it works and doing what they do.

> To me the goal is seeing the full image in the full screen.

Well, for the UI, yes.  Seeing the full UI in the screen and not having
some of the UI bleed out beyond the visible portion.  As for the
playback of captured streams, they can bleed out into the overscan area,
just like they do when you watch live TV.

b.