[mythtv-users] LCD and traditional CRT TVs, overscan and UI size and widget placement

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Wed Nov 11 20:30:45 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian J. Murrell" <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:52 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] LCD and traditional CRT TVs, overscan and UI size and widget placement

But as expected with analog CRTs, this "meeting" is not exact
everywhere.  Which is why this resizing of the canvas is the wrong
approach.  IMHO.

What are you suggesting, then is the correct approach?

To outline more my analysis of the problem it seems to me that when a group of electrons get fired at a screen they have a magnetic
effect along the path they take.  If these electrons streams are not balanced across the whole image then there is a magnetic
distorting effect on the surrounding electrons.  For example a small image moves fast around a largely otherwise static image then
this effect is maximised.  Another approach may have been to do some very clever image correction for these effects and effectively
eliminate wow and "edge artefact" however LCD's came along and as they do have some advantages the manufacturers effort changed to
be directed at LCD's

This correction would have been best done in the TV, however I suppose correction could also be generated externally, for example in
mythtv, however I cannot see anyone making that a priority to write code for, that would be a major exercise.  Different CRT tubes
would probably have different characteristics that would also need accommodation.

To me the goal is seeing the full image in the full screen.  How else do you propose to do that?