[mythtv-users] choppy playback on new danish dvb channels

Per Baekgaard baekgaard at b4net.dk
Wed Nov 11 19:20:22 UTC 2009

I'm having a similar problem here with the Danish "DR HD" channel; only
I am not using DVB-T but the DVB-C signal from YouSee (Danish cable
network).

In addition to using 100% CPU time on my Athlon XP 4850e+ it plays quite
jerky. The stock mplayer (this is Ubuntu 9.04) refuses to play it, but
vlc can play it but not very smooth. On a similar box, just running 9.10
64-bit, mplayer plays it without any hickups...

I'm using mythtv-0.21.0+fixes21768, installed as a binary from the
ppa.launchpad.net mythbuntu repository. I have downloaded also the
source from the same place and have built the corresponding .deb
packages -- but am a bit hesitant installing them due to numerous
warnings etc that I'm uncertain of whether is a problem with my build
environment or just "normal" messages...

(The warnings are on e.g. dependencies on libXmu.so.6 to be avoided, and
same for libGLU.so.1, and many others, plus a bunch of strange symbols
not found in libraries, ad nausem -- plus obviously the lack of a
correct key to sign them with etc.)

So before trying to install the packages, possibly ruining my
("production") server, I was wondering whether applying the following patch

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/attachment/ticket/7522/mythtv_ffmpeg_r20504.diff

to the older branch I'm using will in fact cause it to play smoothly, or
if the real issue is that I still will not have enough CPU anyway? If
so, it would be better to put in another graphics card, as the same
videos play fine on a VDPAU enable Atom equiped 0.21 frontend I also use.

Or are there chances that this patch will make its way into the 0.21 ppa
repository at some point?

-- Per.