[mythtv-users] MythTV, Fedora 11, RPMfusion

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Nov 11 19:08:34 UTC 2009

On Nov 11, 2009, at 1:57 PM, stan wrote:

> The latest Fedora 11 update to the kernel and ffmpeg finally got the
> display
> working on my Intel DG45FC mobo onboard graphics and Hauppauge HVR
> 950Q USB
> tuner.  (Well, at least for a five minute review of a recorded HD OTA
> program.)
>
> So now I'm interesting in trying the new mythtv .22.  I plan to
> completely
> reinstall the system and get the new mythTV.
>
> So I figure I may as well see if there are answers to a few question
> I've
> always left hanging..
>
> 1.  Is mythTV .22 on RPMfusion?

Yes.

> 2.  When you install mythTV from RPMfusion with gnome's add/remove
> programs
> should you first create a mythtv user?  I've installed without
> creating the
> mythtv user and found the install creates mythtv but I can't log
> into it.

Don't need to. The user the package creates isn't intended as a login
user, its a file ownership user, and someday, when possible, a "run
the backend as this user" user[*].

> 3.  Is the mySQL database initialized by the mythTV RPMfusion
> install?  I've
> been running the script to do this, but I've read messages implying
> the
> script is no longer necessary.

The rpm's themselves do nothing to initialize the database.

> 4.  Does Fedora's "check for updates" function include packages (like
> mythTV) installed from RPMfusion?

If you have the RPM Fusion yum repos enabed, yes.

> 5.  Does mythfilldatabase do anything when all program guide sources
> are
> obtained from ATSC over-the-air information?

No.

> BTW, the RPMfusion and "add/remove program" stuff sure makes mythTV
> easy to
> install.

That would be PackageKit, a distribution and packaging system agnostic
add/remove program, developed primarily by Richard Hughes (who does
happen to be a Red Hat employee, working on it for Fedora though).

[*] Currently, various capture devices won't be usable by non-root
users at system boot time, so the backend has to be run as root, or
you have to add some hacky chown'ing to the initscript or similar
workarounds.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com