[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend idle cpu consumption help

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Wed Nov 11 18:50:02 UTC 2009

Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> I always wonder why, for those of us who are capturing interlaced
> content and outputting to interlaced target devices, we have to do all
> this deinterlacing and and of course re-interlacing for the interlaced
> target we are outputting to.  It's silly.
>
> If we simply kept the interlaced content interlaced and gave it to the
> interlaced target device in it's original interlaced format, we'd save a
> whole lot of CPU and image manipulation (and the loss that goes with
> it).

That's what the deinterlacer called "Interlaced x2" is for. It isn't
really a deinterlacer. It just keeps the outgoing interlace insync
with the outgoing one.

To use it you must match the X screen size to the content, and you
must avoid any scaling (and hence put up with overscan for the actual
video playback).

That's what I do here, and after trying many other ways, it was the
only one that gave quality equal to my pre-MythTv DVRs.

Cheers,
	Paul.