[mythtv-users] LCD and traditional CRT TVs, overscan and UI size and widget placement

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Wed Nov 11 18:31:26 UTC 2009

> The problem with this approach is that it's futile trying to make the
> edge of the UI "canvas" meet the visible portion of the picture as the
> borders of this visible portion of the picture are never straight an
> square.  Frequently they are curved and/or have wows in them.
>
> See this picture I took of my TV:
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/attachment/ticket/7545/P1010451.JPG
>
> You can see a "wow" on the top half of the left border.  But this is
> just how CRT TVs are.  This is exactly why overscan exists.

It seemed to me this wow effect is really the "edge artefact" that overscan was made to hide.

I have a 32" "semi HD" CRT TV which has the "wow" shown but on the right hand side, I was going to get the dealer to come and adjust
the set as I had assumed that was a minor malignment of the tube that they might be able to correct.  2 others similar TV's / setups
I have do not have that bendy "feature".

Interestingly the inner bow moves depending on content movement and it is a little disconcerting however I can seem to come to
ignore it.  Test videos can well demonstrate the edge movement bending and straightening.  See http://www.w6rz.net/

Does anyone know if a degree of tube malignment can accentuate this and will it be possible to have the dealer adjust and improve
this?