[mythtv-users] Impressions of 0.22, and some notes pertaining to Gentoo

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Wed Nov 11 08:40:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, November 10, 2009 7:15 pm, Scott Alfter wrote:
> Got it up and running yesterday, and so far it rocks.  Biggest improvement
> I've
> noticed so far is that FLV streaming in MythWeb works properly now, and
> even
> maintains the proper aspect ratio between standard and widescreen sources
> (which it never did with any of the 0.21 releases I tried).  MythMusic
> also
> includes AAC support, so my ripped CDs and iTunes downloads work with
> it...won't have to switch over to Amarok to play music now.
>
> Installation was fairly straightforward...had to back up and restore the
> database to change the character encoding to what mythbackend wanted, but
> that
> seems to be a common problem.  I had also updated my whole system first
> (emerge
> -1av world), as a prior attempt to build 0.22RC2 had failed on what were
> probably outdated libraries.
>
> A couple of minor snags popped up in getting MythWeb running, both of
> which I
> suspect are packaging errors specific to the Gentoo ebuilds:
>
> 1) Permissions on mythweb.pl were incorrect...needed to set the execute
> bit for
>     video downloads and streaming to work.
> 2) FLV streaming needs Math::Round.  Since there isn't an ebuild for this
>     module, you'd want to use g-cpan to create a local ebuild and install
> the
>     module.  (How this would be automated with Portage, I don't
> know...would
>     including perl-gcpan/Math-Round as a dependency be sufficient?)
>
> Scott Alfter
> scott at alfter.us

Did you use the ebuild from Portage?  I couldn't get that to build at all
- some errors about PIC and asm - there is a bug raised about it in
Gentoo's bug tracker.

I eventually had to use an ebuild that tracks a particular svn revision,
but it seems to be working ok apart from the odd frontend crash.

I didn't have either of the problems that you had!?

Robert.