[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Died

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Nov 10 01:39:07 UTC 2009

On Monday 09 November 2009 18:05:26 Mitch Gore wrote:
> > Same here.  Looks like those units have established their
> > life-expectancy.
> >
> > They said to allow up to four days after they receiver the defective
> > unit, before they send the replacement -- and they took all of it.
> > The person manning their IRC channel was very responsive, but forget
> > about getting their RMA people to answer questions.
> >
> > John
> > --
>
> Man this sucks.  Yours had the same behavior?
>
> yea RMA people seem slow...I am waiting for a form and its taking all day.
> trouble tkt was resolved in a couple of hours.
>
> Man Do i wish that avermedia card had drivers   $60 for the same thing!

Maybe, though I hear they now have a single-tuner HDHR unit for $99, probably
get discounted soon.

But a card requires the appropriate slot, DC power and generates heat in your
case, then there's the parasitic problem of having to remove the extra heat,
some of which is created by using extra power, which might require a fan...

The network-connected model has a lot of advantages IMHO, and to me it's worth
the extra cost.

Granted, problems with the unit are a pain, but it's a better overall design.

The fact that the HDHR has Linux support is nice, I don't see that from
Avermedia, a search for "Linux" on their site comes up blank. I like to
support vendors who support Linux and Open Source.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org