[mythtv-users] Myth 0.22 / VDPAU / Horizontal "noise/sparkles"

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 19:51:23 UTC 2009

> However, VDPAU in myth has me less impressed today. Over the weekend
> watched probably 10+ hours of mixed HD playback, almost all recorded
> from ATSC-air from HDHR's.  Almost all of it  had what I can best
> describe as Horizontal fragments / bands / sparkles that would
> randomly appear, almost like noise throughout playback. They would
> stay on the screen less than 1 second each, but at times you could
> have lots of them on the screen.

I had been using VDPAU fine for a while and then a month or two ago I
noticed minor tearing in a horizontal band across the screen similar
to what you describe. It was driving me crazy. I finally saw another
post on the list that mentioned adding this to your xorg.conf:

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

I had that in my xorg.conf in the past but somewhere along the line it
got removed by me or some automated update. That fixed things for me.
Playback is flawless again now.