[mythtv-users] digital audio driving me crazy

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 16:25:40 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 5:57 AM, Phil Wild <philwild at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/11/9 Per Olausson <per.olauzzon at googlemail.com>:
> > Hi. I am running Mythtv on ubuntu (mythubuntu) after getting rid of my
> > previous setup based on gentoo (it was getting too demanding keeping up).
> >
> > On gentoo I used to (I believe) have digital audio all up and running
> fine,
> > yet on this new setup I am scratching my head and becoming very
> frustrated.
> >
> > I have followed the wiki, other guides here and there and everywhere but
> not
> > getting anywhere. I have 18 years experience on Unix/Linux so I know what
> > am doing. I think.
> >
> > Right. I cannot get digital audio playback working when watching
> something
> > live on TV. Everything else appears to work.
> >
> > I get silence or cracks/squeaks. I have checked the board (DVB-C) and it
> is
> > capable of AC3. Is there some kind of magic required to ensure that when
> > recording or viewing something with AC3 the board is indeed getting the
> > right sound out?
> >
> > I have played around with test.ac3 output and cannot get that to work
> > neither. So I am assuming that something is wrong with my ALSA setup, but
> > what I don't know. It is a nforce3 based board, I have an asoundrc file
> in
> > my home directory etc.
> >
> > Does anyone have a minute/ideas or could point to a guide that
> certifiably
> > works? It would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Per
> I have the following also config file /etc/asound.conf
>
> leave all mythtv settings as the defaults
>
> phil at echo:~$ cat /etc/asound.conf
> pcm.dmixer {
>   type dmix
>   ipc_key 1024
>   ipc_key_add_uid false
>   ipc_perm 0660
>   slave {
>      pcm "hw:0,3"
>      rate 48000
>      channels 2
>      format S32_LE
>      period_time 0
>      period_size 1024
>      buffer_time 0
>      buffer_size 4096
>   }
> }
>
> pcm.!default {
>   type plug
>   slave.pcm "dmixer"
> }
>

> Change the line that says pcm "hw:0,3" to match the output you are
> using on your system (look at aplay -l and using card 0 device 3 on my
> setup)
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil

Interesting file.  In any event, I don't think the system will use it as
long as he has the other file in his home directory so the op needs to
delete that file or put this stuff there.

When the op said he has looked at all the wiki's, he isn't following mine or
he would not have the file in his home directory.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/AllensDigitalAudioHowto

Allen