[mythtv-users] Theming contest/image licensing question

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 20:19:20 UTC 2009

> Governed by this license agreement:
> Standard restrictions apply and float must be notified when using the photo
> for any public work.
>
> where "float" is the author and the "standard restrictions" are here:
>
> http://www.sxc.hu/help/7_2
>
> Everything reads "ok" to me, but I admittedly don't know what I'm looking
> for...  what sorts of verbiage should I look for as a red flag?

It will be easy to find images that *you* are free to use. The hang up
in this case is are you free to distribute them. In this case the
answer is no, unless you get permission from the artist. From your
link:

Always ask permission from the photographer if you want to use the Image
    * In website templates that You intend to sell or distribute.

Popular licenses for this type of purposes are the Creative Commons
family of license. Flikr does a good job of helping you find works
under these licenses: http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/