[mythtv-users] Theming contest/image licensing question

Jack Perveiler perveilerj at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 20:06:01 UTC 2009

Is there a good "known safe" stock image site out there?  I.e. if I find an
image at Site X it is by definition safe to use in a theme someone hopes to
distribute someday?  The theming contest made me think of this, although I
guess it applies to anybody looking to make a distributable theme.

If no such site exists, is there some commonly used language I should look
for that would indicate the image is safe to use?

For example, a quick browse found this image:

http://www.sxc.hu/photo/454273

Governed by this license agreement:
Standard restrictions <http://www.sxc.hu/help/7_2> apply and
float<http://www.sxc.hu/profile/float>must be notified when using the
photo for any public work.

where "float" is the author and the "standard restrictions" are here:

http://www.sxc.hu/help/7_2

Everything reads "ok" to me, but I admittedly don't know what I'm looking
for...  what sorts of verbiage should I look for as a red flag?

The last thing I'd want is to spend a bunch of time on a theme I'm happy
with only to find out I shouldn't have used half of my images :)

Thanks,

Jack