[mythtv-users] Transcoding recordings and moving them to mythvideo

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 15:53:37 UTC 2009

> Yes that's one good reason for it, but seeing as my mythbox is idle for 90% of the time I thought it would be ideal if I could queue some kind of job to run, say, when I'm at work. I wonder if it would be possible to make a user job to do this? A copy of your script would be a great help, thanks.

I would not recommend getting a copy of that script.
myth.find_orphans.pl is depricated and hasn't been updated as far as I
know. So there is are no guarantees that it isn't going to mess up
your database, particularly with the move to .22. Also much of the
other stuff simply is unnecessary. For example you could just delete
the recording from the frontend after you are happy with the
transcoded version in mythvideo. Then you don't need to use any
unsupported scripts or mess with the database or file system.

You can set up a user job to do what you want. For future proofing and
better quality for a giving file size I would recommend that you go
with H264 in an MKV container rather than doing xvid and AVI. Along
those lines mythnuv2mkv is a popular choice. The wiki has information
on how to set it up and run it as a user job:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythnuv2mkv. The author does note that they
have done no testing with mythtv .22. But that is probably going to be
the case with most solutions.