[mythtv-users] Going from FF to Playback

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Nov 5 21:53:28 UTC 2009

On 11/05/2009 04:01 PM, Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Thursday 05 Nov 2009 06:51:34 Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> That's exactly how both my 0.21-fixes system and my trunk system works
>> (just tested both of them to make sure).  When in FFWDSTICKY and:
>>
>>  - I hit P (PAUSE), it pauses.
>>  - I hit Space/Enter (SELECT), it resumes playback
>>  - I hit Ctrl+P (PLAY), it resumes playback
>>
>> This behavior makes sense in light of the keybinding action names.  I'm
>> using all defaults for keybindings, which are:
>>
>> TV Frontend/PLAYBACK = P
>> TV Playback/PLAY = Ctrl+P
>> TV Playback/PAUSE = P
>>
>> Note that PAUSE really acts as a "toggle pause" (so it will pause if
>> playing or play if paused).  And, at least on the trunk/dev box, all
>> defaults for settings.
>>
> Thanks, it makes sense now. I've modified the myhttv settings in ~/.lirc so that my 'Play' button sends 'Return', it was previously configured to send 'P', which explains the behaviour I was getting. I'm not sure if it's possible to put 'Ctrl+P' into a lirc config file, so I went for the safe option :)

You can--just add:

config = Ctrl+P

I had done this for a while since I have both a pause and a play button
on my remote, but I ended up switching it back to just P for both the
pause button and the play button.

Since P in TV Frontend (the Watch Recordings screen) is PLAYBACK, which
starts playback after selecting a recording, and Ctrl+P is not mapped to
anything in TV Frontend (or, anywhere other than TV Playback, for that
matter), using Ctrl+P for the play button meant that I could use the
SELECT button to start playback (which made sense) or I could use the
pause button (P) to start playback (which didn't make a lot of sense),
but I couldn't use the play button (Ctrl+P) to start playback (which
made no sense when the pause button worked).  I may see about adding
PLAY to TV Frontend and making it work like PLAYBACK if I can get buy in
on the idea.  Then I can go back to a "real" pause vs play
configuration.  :)

Mike