[mythtv-users] Can Myth TV record direct from DVB-T/DVB-T2

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Thu Nov 5 21:53:10 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 21:36 +0000, Another Sillyname wrote:
> 2009/11/5 Richard Evans <rp.evans at tiscali.co.uk>:
> > I hope this is a silly question.
> >
> > I'm only at the stage of considering whether to build something
> using Myth
> > TV. I'm considering building a PVR, to record exclusively digital TV
> > transmission. Here in the UK digital TV used DVB-T, and soon some
> DVB-T2
> > transmissions will be introduced, initially for HDTV. MythTv looks
> like a
> > good option, however the documentation only seems to talk about
> using
> > Analogue TV capture cards. I can't find anything about recording
> digital TV.
> >
> > Would I be correct in assuming that I could use some sort of DVB-T
> tuner
> > card, or even a DVB-T2, instead of analogue capture cards. This
> should allow
> > it to receive and record digital TV without any need to actually
> encode any
> > video, as the digital TV transmission are obviously already encoded.

I'm in the UK, I record only digital, Freeview (DVB-T) and satellite
(DVB-S, French channels not Freesat, but same technology) with MythTV.
We are a lot like that!

http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc/

DVB-T2 is barely ratified as a standard, there is very little ready
silicon out there, and none on a PCI card, PCIe card or USB stick yet.
When it exists support should come in fairly quickly, the linux-media
guys (making the linux drivers) readied/are readying the framework for
that.

The wiki and docs talk a lot about analogue because it's been there for
a longer time and because digital is fairly easier.

Nico