[mythtv-users] livetv "dies" when scheduler runs?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 15:20:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 7:36 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:48 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm watching the world series right now and am noticing that everytime
>> the backend prints the upcoming recording schedule to the log (so the
>> scheduler is running in some way?) live tv starts to skip and then
>> eventually dies.
>> cpu usage doesn't seem to go too high and the wa% in top does not seem
>> to get above 75-80%.
>>
>> anyone have any ideas to try and trouble shoot this issue?
>

> Is this by any chance a time that mythfilldatabase is running? I never
> had it skip like that, but I did find that if it ran while I (or
> rather, my wife) was watching LiveTV, if I changed channels at wrong
> moment, the system would hang and then drop me back to the menu. It
> took me a while to track it down to being related to mythfilldatabase.
> I now set it to run only while we are sleeping and have not had that
> problem in nearly 2 years.

no, I don't watch live tv all that much through Myth, but with testing
0.22 with the RC's now I figured I'd try. It worked quite well which
was awesome, but it seems to cause the backend to hit sql a lot and
from the logs it seems to print out the upcoming recording schedule
every 5 minutes or so. When this happens cpu usage increases a lot as
does the i/o wait time both according to 'top' (but neither "maxing
out" at 100%). Once it even froze interaction (tv still played but it
did not respond to the remote or keyboard) when I tried to use the
non-guide based channel browsing, again with a steady heavy cpu and
i/o wait % numbers.

I have a fairly fast raid 5 array and a fairly speedy cpu for a
backend only system, so I don't know if either of those are still to
blame or if something else is going on that I should be looking at to
try and solve this hiccup.

Thanks!

--
Steve