[mythtv-users] [RFC] Proposed settings rework

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Wed Nov 4 20:57:52 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 03 November 2009 04:07:22 pm Robert McNamara wrote:
> Hello MythTV Community,
>
> There has been substantial discussion in the past several weeks,
> culminating in a long dev channel discussion this morning, on how to
> best improve MythTV usability and user experience.

Oh, one thing I completely forgot: Through at least 0.21, the arrow keys
sometimes behave very strangely. Most commonly, the left and right arrow key
functions are reversed or just plain weird when moving between button options
at the bottom of certain screens. For instance, go to the Setup->General
setup screen. The "Next" button, in the lower-right corner, is highlighted.
Pressing the right-arrow key moves to "Cancel," in the lower-left corner,
which is sensible (assuming wrapping). Pressing right-arrow again jumps the
highlight up to the "Hostname" field at the *TOP* of the screen. (I'd
normally expect it to go to the "Back" button, to the left of the "Next"
button.) This isn't an isolated issue; most of the configuration screens, and
many others, do similar unintuitive things.

This is all very weird and confusing, but it's something that long-time MythTV
users (myself included) tend to overlook, since we're so accustomed to the
bizarre way it works. Perhaps it's already been addressed in 0.22. If so, I
apologize for wasting time bringing it up; but I thought it would be best to
mention it in case this problem still exists.

--
Rod Smith