[mythtv-users] mythbuntu karmic on Zotac ION

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 18:13:37 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 11:39 PM, Patrick Davila
<pdavila at thelinuxlink.net> wrote:
> I did fresh installs of Mythbuntu 9.10 on two systems:
> Main box FE/BE: AMD64
> Frontend only: Zotac AU Ion
>
> I had a similiar experience as you on both systems. When first booting in
> with the install CD I opted to install directly from the menu item
> "Install Mythbuntu". The install appeared to go fine till about 98%
> completion and then would mysteriously just fall back to the live desktop.
> You could easily miss it if you don't closely watch it. After rebooting it
> would just hang with a flashing login terminal screen. The second time
> around I would opt to go into the "live CD" mode. Then click on the
> "install" icon. This time everything worked fine. It sounds like the
> install CD has a really nasty bug that should be addressed. Let me go look
> in launchpad and open a trouble ticket if it hasn't already been reported.

Hi Patrick,

This sounds a little something I experienced when installing one of
the karmic alphas-- in service of "ease of use" Karmic seems to
persistently try to start X again and again even when it fails-- I saw
the same flashing terminal, and solved it by SSH'ing in and installing
the nVidia drivers-- the *instant* this completed, the X display
popped up.  Obviously the solution isn't totally applicable to what
you saw here, but I suspect the same root cause.

Robert