[mythtv-users] [RFC] Proposed settings rework

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Wed Nov 4 13:27:54 UTC 2009

At 11:49 AM +1300 11/4/09, Nick Rout wrote:
>(2) make the settings more accessible. From each screen/plugin add a
>context menu button to go straight to the config options for that
>screen. (presently its escape back to main menu, forward through
>several setup menus, make the changes then escape back out to main
>menu and all the way back to your screen. My suggestion is not only
>more user friendly in terms of button presses, but may save those
>endless posts asking "where is the settings option for foobar" - the
>answer will become "from the foobar screen hit [info] and choose
>[settings]"

+1. It is maddeningly annoying to have to change something on the
fifth page of Playback Settings, then try playing something, only to
discover you need to go back and tweak the settings again.

I would also like to see the abolition of the "you have to go through
all ten pages of settings and click on Finish before any of your
changes will take effect" paradigm. This method is good when you want
to make a whole bunch of changes at once, but not when you want to
quickly change one thing and get back to where you were.

In an ideal UI, I should be able to get to the page I want, change
something, hit a Save button, and have it immediately return to
whatever task I was previously doing.