[mythtv-users] [RFC] Proposed settings rework

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 12:56:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello MythTV Community,
>
> Please feel free to peruse and comment on the list.  Sometimes I note
> why a setting is a bad idea, or what the default behavior ought to be.
>  A word of caution:  Please keep the discussion civil.  Sometimes,
> what might be a slight usability hit to one person drastically
> improves the experience for most others.

One setting I never understood under the TV->General->AutoExpire
settings is "Re-record watched".  Apparently that causes a show to be
re-recorded if it's auto expired _and_ marked as watched.  For some
reason mine was on, and certainly never set it, at least not
intentionally...luckily I discovered that before my drive recently got
full enough for auto-expiring to start occurring.  I use the watched
flag to indicate that _I_ watched the show, so my wife knows that she
can delete it once she's done with it...so I have a lot of stuff
marked as watched.  What's the intention behind that setting?...I
could never make sense out of it.

All in all I think this is a great effort.  I detest the time it takes
me to find anything when I want to make a change, and I can't even
imagine the code behind all that.

Tom